I am happy to bring to you the highlights of EU-ASEAN cooperation in the past two months, across the political-security, economic, and the socio-cultural pillars.
In October, we held the 21st ASEAN-EU Ministerial Meeting in Bangkok where Foreign Ministers of both regions took stock of progress made in our relations and adopted the Bangkok Declaration.
In the area of political-security cooperation, Thailand and the EU co-hosted the 3rd High-Level Dialogue on Maritime Security, INTERPOL conducted trainings in the area of border management and assisted Lao law enforcement authorities in securing the ASEAN Summit in September, and ASEAN made good progress towards a human rights-based approach to Trafficking in Persons.
Furthering our economic engagement, the first round of ASEAN-EU Comprehensive Air Transport Agreement (CATA) negotiations and the first round of Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement (CEPA) negotiations with Indonesia were held in Brussels. In the area of socio-cultural cooperation, the new ASEAN Quality Assurance Network will now bring universities and higher education institutions across ASEAN closer together.
On cross-sectoral cooperation, we published the very first report on development cooperation between the two regions, “EU-ASEAN Blue Book 2016”, and reaffirmed our commitment to supporting the ASEAN Connectivity at the 7th ASEAN Connectivity Symposium in Vientiane.
In the coming months, we look forward to the Telecommunications and Information Technology Senior Officials Meeting (TELSOM) in Brunei and the official closing ceremony of the ASEAN Air Transport Integration Project (AATIP) in Manila together with Mr. Henrik Hololei, Director General for Mobility & Transport at the European Commission.
I hope you enjoy reading about these and many more highlights of our cooperation in our sixth Newsletter.
AMBASSADOR OF THE EUROPEAN UNION TO ASEAN
- Political-Security Pillar: Highlights of EU-ASEAN Political Cooperation
- Foreign Ministers of EU and ASEAN reaffirm increasingly strong partnership
- INTERPOL training ASEAN on integrated border management
- Senior Officials of EU and ASEAN take stock on cooperation to prepare for the Ministerial
- Thailand and the EU co-hosted the 3rd ASEAN-EU High Level Dialogue (HLD) on Maritime Security
- INTERPOL helped secure ASEAN Summit in Laos
- Corporate Social Responsibility: part of EU-ASEAN cooperation on human rights
- ASEAN moving towards a human rights-based approach to Trafficking in Persons
- Economic Pillar: Highlights of EU-ASEAN Economic Cooperation
- Socio-Cultural Pillar: Highlights of EU-ASEAN Socio-Cultural Cooperation
- New ASEAN body makes Quality Assurance of Universities Regional
- Rapid population ageing: HelpAge International partners with ASEAN governments on welfare
- Promoting student mobility in ASEAN: workshop on Credit Transfer System
- Reducing extreme poverty via social transfer programmes: international course
- Cross-Pillar Cooperation: Highlights of Cross-Pillar Cooperation