I am happy to bring to you the highlights of EU-ASEAN cooperation in the past two months, across the political-security, economic, and the socio-cultural pillars.
Referring to the EU’s final go-ahead to start negotiations for a Comprehensive Air Transport Agreement with ASEAN, an important step forward was taken on 7 June when the European Commission got a green light to negotiate EU-level aviation agreements. This ambitious first ever region-to-region agreement has a huge potential in bringing the two regions closer together, and we hope to launch the negotiations soon. Moreover, several of our activities under economic connectivity focused on moving towards establishing the ASEAN Single Aviation Market as well.
In May, the ASEAN-EU Science, Technology and Innovation Days – the most important event of the year for scientific communities in Europe and Southeast Asia – brought together more than 500 participants from both regions. This time, border security, irregular migration, transnational crime and human rights were in the focus of our activities under the political-security cooperation. In socio-cultural cooperation, EU projects continued with good progress and deliverables in the area of higher education.
In the coming months, we will be looking forward to the discussions at the 23rd ASEAN Regional Forum in Vientiane in July, and the celebrations of the ASEAN Day on the 8th of August.
I hope you will enjoy reading about these and many more highlights of our cooperation in our fourth Newsletter.
Ambassador of the European Union to ASEAN
I. Political Security Pillar: Highlights of EU-ASEAN Political Cooperation
- Border security in regional transit hubs focus of INTERPOL operation
- Transnational Crime on the agenda of Senior Officials
- ASEAN improves border controls
- Stepping up regional efforts on child protection
- Media and human rights in ASEAN: Regional forum
- Ambassador’s official visits to ASEAN Member States
II. Economic Pillar: Highlights of EU-ASEAN Economic Cooperation
- EU-ASEAN aviation agreement underway
- Stepping stones towards deeper region-to-region engagement
- More than 500 participants at the ASEAN-EU Science, Technology and Innovation Days
- EU-ASEAN Business Council meets in Jakarta
- ASEAN Customs Transit System: pilot project preparing to go live
- Supporting small farmers through stronger organisations
- Towards Single Aviation Market: evaluating safety standards and economic impact
- Friends of the Lower Mekong meet in Laos
- Intellectual Property rights: Trademark Filing System launched in the Philippines
- Moving ahead towards Sustainable Development Goals in ASEAN
- ASSIST: Solving cross-border trade issues, training government and private sector
III. Socio-Cultural Pillar: Highlights of EU-ASEAN Socio-Cultural Cooperation