I am happy to bring to you the highlights of EU-ASEAN cooperation in the past two months, across the political-security, economic, and the socio-cultural pillars.
The EU continues to be a strong partner for ASEAN in Community-building. In the summer months, our activities focused on economic cooperation, intellectual property, statistics, aviation and higher education. Most importantly, a new online tool was launched to help facilitate trade among ASEAN countries – ASEAN Solutions for Investments, Services and Trade. In July, high-level meetings were held in Vientiane among the Ministers of Foreign Affairs of ASEAN and the EU, including the ASEAN Regional Forum and the ASEAN Post-Ministerial Conference with the EU, taking stock of progress made in our relations in a forward-looking Chairman’s statement.
In the coming months, our political dialogue will be, again, advanced at high-level meetings in Bangkok – the High-Level Dialogue on Maritime Security in September and the EU-ASEAN Ministerial Meeting in October.
I hope you enjoy reading about these and many more highlights of our cooperation in our fifth Newsletter.
AMBASSADOR OF THE EUROPEAN UNION TO ASEAN
1.Political-Security Pillar: Highlights of EU-ASEAN Political Cooperation
- EU and ASEAN Ministers of Foreign Affairs take stock of important achievements
- ASEAN Regional Forum: Foreign Ministers adopt, inter alia, statements co-sponsored by the EU
- Largest multilateral meeting between Europe and Asia celebrates the 20th Anniversary
- Enhancing border security across Southeast Asia
2. Economic Pillar: Highlights of EU-ASEAN Economic Cooperation
- 5-year business programme launched: EU companies on missions to Southeast Asia
- Stepping stones towards deeper region-to-region engagement
- ASEAN Intellectual Property Offices define priorities for cooperation
- ASSIST ‘Open for Business
- Towards ASEAN Single Aviation Market: evaluating safety standards and developing a Master Plan
- COMPASS for developing more harmonised ASEAN Community Statistical System
3. Socio-Cultural Pillar: Highlights of EU-ASEAN Socio-Cultural Cooperation