Prepared by Annika Siirak, EU Mission to ASEAN
I am happy to bring to you the third Newsletter of 2017, covering highlights of EU-ASEAN cooperation in the past two months.
In May and June, we had a busy agenda on security matters – from the ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF) Senior Officials Meeting in Manila and the ARF Seminar on Preventive Diplomacy, Mediation and Early Warning Systems in Yangon to the 3rd EU Common Security and Defence Policy (CSDP) familiarisation course for Navies and Sea Law Enforcement agencies of EU and ASEAN in Rome, and the visit of the ASEAN Committee on Migrant Workers to Brussels.
On economic cooperation, the third round of EU-ASEAN Comprehensive Air Transport Agreement (CATA) negotiations took place in Helsinki, the EU’s project ‘ASEAN Regional Integration Support from the EU’ (ARISE) celebrated its closure in Jakarta, the European Parliament International Trade Committee visited Jakarta and the EU-ASEAN Business Council celebrated another successful year of business relations at their Annual General Meeting.
Our socio-cultural cooperation is growing stronger with the EU’s flagship programme ‘EU Support to Higher Education in the ASEAN Region’ (SHARE) which held the first ever ASEAN Student Mobility Forum in Manila, announced the third batch of SHARE Scholarships and held a number of workshops across the region to support the internationalisation of higher education in ASEAN.
In the coming months, we look forward to the ASEAN Post-Ministerial Conference with the EU, the ARF Ministerial and the grand commemoration of the 50th Anniversary of ASEAN in August in Manila.
I hope you enjoy reading about these and many other highlights of our cooperation.
AMBASSADOR OF THE EUROPEAN UNION TO ASEAN
- Highlights of EU-ASEAN Political-Security Cooperation
- ARF Senior Officials discuss non-traditional security challenges at annual meeting
- Preventive Diplomacy, Mediation and Early Warning Systems on the ARF agenda in Yangon
- Shaping border security focus of INTERPOL workshop on ASEAN common visa
- Italy, ASEAN to strengthen economic relations
- Rules-based regional order discussed at Shangri-La Dialogue 2017
- EU Common Security and Defence Policy course for Navies and Sea Law Enforcement agencies
- EU, ASEAN Senior Officials on Transnational Crime aim to strengthen cooperation
- INTERPOL border operation in Southeast Asia nets internationally wanted suspects
- ASEAN Committee on Migrant Workers: learning from the EU experience in Brussels
- Highlights of EU-ASEAN Economic Cooperation
- EU-ASEAN Business Council celebrates another successful year
- 3rd round of air transport (CATA) negotiations
- European ICT companies on mission to Singapore and Thailand
- Cosmetics: sharing EU experience in regional standards harmonisation
- EU flagship project supporting ASEAN regional economic integration completed
- European Parliament International Trade Committee visits ASEAN Secretariat
- Six ASEAN scholars on Statistics get a Master’s degree with the support of the EU
- Highlights of EU-ASEAN Socio-Cultural Cooperation
- First ever ASEAN Student Mobility Forum held with the support of the EU
- SHARE Policy Brief number 5: Making National Qualifications Comparable across ASEAN
- How Regional Standards impact national higher education system: example of Vietnam
- SHARE Scholarship Awardees Batch 3!
- Credit Transfer System: work continues in Vietnam and the Philippines
- SHARE joined the EU-ASEAN Run