Prepared by Annika Siirak, EU Mission to ASEAN
Happy 40th Anniversary of EU-ASEAN partnership!
I am happy to bring to you the second Newsletter of 2017, covering highlights of EU-ASEAN cooperation in the past two months.
In March, the meeting between ASEAN Economic Ministers (AEM) and EU Trade Commissioner Ms Cecilia Malmström in Manila created a momentum for moving closer towards region-to-region free trade negotiations.
In April, the very first ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF) Meeting on Trafficking in Persons took place in Semarang; Deputy Secretary General of European External Action Service, Mr Christian Leffler visited Jakarta and met with key ASEAN interlocutors; and EU Member States’ Ambassadors in Jakarta met with the Permanent Representative of the Philippines to ASEAN, Ms Elizabeth Buensuceso.
In May, we are happy to launch the Europe Month – the month full of celebrations, focusing on the 60th Anniversary of the Treaties of Rome, but also marking the 50th Anniversary of ASEAN and the 40th Anniversary of EU-ASEAN Dialogue Relations. The first of many celebrations was the EU-ASEAN Run, organised jointly by the EU Mission to ASEAN and the ASEAN Secretariat on 7 May in Jakarta.
Upcoming activities in May and June will also enrich the agenda of our security cooperation, through the ASEAN Common Visa Study workshop in Kuala Lumpur (8-9 May), the ARF Inter-Sessional Support Group Meeting on Confidence Building Measures and Preventive Diplomacy in Ottawa (10-12 May), ARF Senior Officials Meeting in Manila (22-24 May), the Shangri-La Dialogue 2017 (2-4 June), the 3rd EU Common Security and Defence Policy (CSDP) familiarisation course for Navies and Sea Law Enforcement agencies of EU and ASEAN in Rome (5-9 June), and the ARF Seminar on Preventive Diplomacy, Mediation and Early Warning Systems in Yangon (19-21 June).
I hope you enjoy reading about these and many other highlights of our cooperation.
AMBASSADOR OF THE EUROPEAN UNION TO ASEAN
- Highlights of EU-ASEAN Political-Security Cooperation
- First ever ARF Meeting on Trafficking in Persons takes place in Semarang
- EU Ambassadors meet the Permanent Representative of the Philippines to ASEAN
- EEAS Deputy Secretary General visits ASEAN Secretariat
- EU-ASEAN border management training to enhance border security in Southeast Asia
- Highlights of EU-ASEAN Economic Cooperation
- Upping our trade & values agenda with ASEAN: EU Trade Commissioner Cecilia Malmström visits Manila
- Contemporary European Design companies on mission to Singapore and Jakarta
- 5th ASEAN-EU Business Summit convenes in Manila
- ASEAN Economic Community – Monitoring Progress with EU Programme
- Highlights of EU-ASEAN Socio-Cultural Cooperation
- First ever EU-ASEAN Run takes place in Jakarta
- Building ASEAN capacity for a regional Higher Education Credit Transfer System
- Scholarship for students in ASEAN – Application Open until 22 May
- SHARE Supports Special ASEAN Senior Officials Meeting on Education
- SHARE Cooperates with regional higher education centre and Senior Officials on Higher Education
- SHARE Supports ASEAN on Quality Assurance